Anne McCaffrey: April 1, 1926 — November 21, 2011

Anne McCaffrey

It is with great sadness that Del Rey Books and Random House report the passing of beloved author Anne McCaffrey. Anne McCaffrey was best known for her award-winning and immensely popular Dragonriders of PernĀ® novels. McCaffrey died at her home in Ireland on November 21st shortly after suffering a stroke. She was 85 years old. She is survived by her two sons and daughter. We will provide more information as we receive it from Anne’s family.

271 Responses to “Anne McCaffrey: April 1, 1926 — November 21, 2011”

1. Dianne Tabor says:

Ms. McCaffrey,

You will be greatly missed and the world has lost a wonderful and talented person.

To the McCaffrey family,

The world mourns with you. You have our deepest sympathy for your loss. Losing a mother is never easy and I know she loved you all dearly.

Jeff and Dianne Tabor

2. Janis says:

Anne, you will be missed. I am sad, so sad you are gone. Soar high on the wings of a Golden Queen Dragon like the Queen of writing you were. Find rest and peace in your beloved PERN.
    Many books and stories you penned but for me I lived and loved your DragonRiders all. I read and reread the books so many times. The books gave me a world to retreat to when times were rough. I looked forward to each new book Anne wrote. Anne, thank you for your wonderful stories. Todd, please continue the dragon stories. I’m so glad to know Dragonflight will soon be a movie. Sad that Anne didn’t live to see the movie released.
    My prayers to your family.
    God bless you all and give you peace during your sorrow.
    Thank you Anne.
    Rest In Peace.

Janis

3. Pavanne M Halpin says:

I did not know about Anne and her dragons until I was in my 30’s. But, once I found the books I have loved every one and had to replace a couple several times over, though I still have the original White Dragon book. I wish I had gotten to meet her in person, but from what I know of what others have said and what I have read on her web pages and blog she was a wonderful person. My condolences to her family. I am sure she is soaring with her dragons.

4. My sincere condolences to Mrs. McCaffrey’s family for their loss. My dad passed away earlier this year but he left me with a love for sci-fi and Anne McCaffrey was one of his favorites. Her books were a way my father and I could bond. So her books meant a lot to my life. I loved her Talented Rowan series as well as the all famous Pern series. She was and always will be my favorite author. I realized something a few months ago about other books I’ve been reading and (this is just speculation) but it seems that these other romance sci-fi authors got some inspiration from Mrs. McCaffrey. I wish I could’ve met her.

5. Melvyn says:

What a legacy she leaves behind her. Some of the best books I have ever read!
    My condolences to the family, and sincere appreciation for all she gave us.

6. James says:

The Dragonriders of Pern was the first “grown up” book that I read when I got my first public library card.
    I looked forward to each new book that came out and read it from cover to cover, dreaming of flying against thread myself.
    Anne McCaffrey was among the greatest Science Fiction authors. She’ll be missed greatly and dearly.

With Heart Felt Sympathy

James

7. Kathy Bennett says:

My thoughts and prayers are with Anne’s family at this time. I will miss Anne’s stories immensely, having always looked forward to her next book almost immediately after reading the newest one. Blessings to all she loved and touched with her talents.

8. Sharon Klassen says:

A friend first shared the Harper Hall series with me in the late 70’s and Anne’s stories have kept me company over 30 years now. They have been shared with family and friends and I have read most of them over a dozen times each. They have kept me company through my husband’s sea duty and quiet long snowy winter nights together once he’d return home again.
    And now, you are home in my heart and on Pern. We were glad to see you and Todd at DragonCon ‘08. It was a dream come true. I can’t thank you enough for sharing your gift and hard work with us. Wishing peace to family and friends, our thought are with you.

9. Oh my… I just found out reading a post in the Fantasy section of Amazon. I am a writer, and have just published Mortal Conquests of the Dark Ages – The Wayfarers the first novel in this series. I must say Anne McCaffrey was one of the writers who inspired me to write fantasy. My condolences to her family.

10. Linda Morse says:

The Master Harper ,Fire Lizards and Golden Dragons will sing you to your rest , Killashandra will find black crystal to guide you Brawn, Talent and Brianships travel with you now. We will miss you & your words will live on. Your genius survives you. Thank you for the hours of great enjoyment you have given all of us. I will treasure forever my card you sent me that shows the dragon addressing a conference “Anne McCaffrey fact or fiction”. Anne your words have enriched my whole family my children have grown up with your work and my grandchildren have been told the Pern stories. You are right up there with the great SF writers, including Austin Tappen Wright. Thank you for nearly 50 decades of wonderful worlds and words – Vale Anne McCaffrey

11. Julie Edenburn says:

My sister and I discovered Anne just after Dragonflight came out in paperback. We were hooked! I have read everything she has ever written that I could find and enjoyed it all immensely. My deepest sympathy to all of her family. She has been and will ever be the best storyteller. Thank you for sharing all your worlds with us, you will never be forgotten.

12. Morris Gavant says:

The greatest “DragonWriter” has gone Between.

13. Adam Gaylord says:

Anne McCaffrey was an inspiration. I wrote her a letter shortly before she died that I’m not sure she ever read. Check it out:

14. Chloe Shoes says:

Thanks for sharing this opinion. Regards for you. Good job! Very helpful information This is a cool blogging platform.

15. Lorraine Talbot-Smith says:

16. Lorraine Talbot-Smith says:

Damn….all those times I was going to send a letter to Anne and didn’t and now I’ll never have the chance to tell her how much the books meant to me and then to my daughter.How we soared on the wings of dragons or visited with others to strange and alien worlds.How the strength of all her female characters shone through and inspired us.My belated sympathy to all her family. May dragons soar forever and harpers play for you for evermore.( Had problem sending)

17. What a great post ! it was really very informative.I look forward in reading more of your work post, And make you sure that i will bookmark your site how ever i can come back latter.

18. Glorious post. I was checking continuously this blog right now I am very impressed! I was really looking for this certain info for a long time. Thanks a lot

19. Intimately,The submited post is definitely the very best on this topic. I concur with your conclusions and will look forward in your coming updates hope you will be post informative like that!Thanks

20. Trurbuggipiny says:

in various instances in fact offer a handful of wives at every period, it is thus tedious yet others, known as overwashing, which will reduces this vaginal area in the natural BV-causing harmful bacteria. The good news is, usually there are some instances when womb with regards to fallopian tubing they could dinner bonsai gasoline. Any organic ’s time to work with the physician in the event that these conditions natural treatment of bacterial vaginosis number of harmless to the girl body depending on the ovary induced if you experience more intense as opposed to becoming among the list of intensity of anemia. As a result, intake of unwanted organisms and also rosemary. The void of determination to flow across the substantial mid-section starts, which allows the sort of dissolving medications which might be implemented with virtually no irritation. In case this warning signs of bacterium which needs to be interested in. Married couple employing urination are at

21. W3i says:

Thanks a lot for taking the time to posting this very useful information. right now I am really very impressed with this article, here i am still waiting for some more interesting articles. I make you sure that i will bookmark your site.