Cage Match 2012: The Bracket Revealed!

You’ve known which characters have been picked for Cage Match 2012–we revealed that list here.

Well, now we’re really excited to reveal the bracket!

Watch the video below to see who will be fighting who in the first round, and see which matches Joe and I think are ones to watch for the different divisions.

And don’t forget, we’re still looking for character art–the details are here.

Cage Match 2012 starts Monday, March 5th, around 10 am EST, right here on Suvudu.com. Make sure to check in, and in the meantime, take a look at the match-ups and let the speculations begin!

And here is the bracket:

SCM_2012_brack_rnd-1

And broken out into the different divisions, by location*:

Miskatonic University: Field House

SCM_2012_brack_rnd-1-Miskatonic

Starfleet Academy: Holodeck

SCM_2012_brack_rnd-1-Starfleet

Professor Xavier’s School for Gifted Children: Danger Room

SCM_2012_brack_rnd-1-Xavier

Hogwarts: Quidditch Pitch

SCM_2012_brack_rnd-1-Hogwarts

*Note: These are just the names of the divisions, and the matches won’t necessarily take place in these arenas. We know you’ll bring that up!

82 Responses to “Cage Match 2012: The Bracket Revealed!”

1. Vath says:

I hope Ray Lilly beats that Lannister jerk. The twenty palaces series is great, just needs to get more people exposed to it. Its dresden meets cthulhu whats there not to like?

2. Dan says:

I’m not sure how the Wicked Witch of the West, or Harry Potter classify as higher seeds then Erevis Cale, makes no sense. I cannot see WWofW going far.

3. Daniel says:

\Odin, god of thunder\… *clears throat* Yes, mr Wednesday is Odin, but I believe the god of Thunder is Thor.

4. K.G. Poulsen says:

# Daniel you er quite right Odin is usually known as the king of the Norse gods

5. Jonathan says:

Question: In past years, the hub page for the cage matches generally had links to all of the matches, individually, so you didn’t have to search the website or just keep clicking through all the matches to find one. Will we be getting something like that this year?
    Also, clicking the “Cage Match 2012″ link on the main Suvudu page only shows the old post announcing all of the participating characters. It seems the Cage Match 2012 tag doesn’t work very well at the moment…
    Now, I am going to look through the current write-ups and add a huge number of books to my reading list…

6. Tinera says:

Go Granny!!

7. Martin K. Hykkerud says:

Many interesting characters, it will be great fun to follow this. My personal vote goes to Anomander, of course. BUT i’m really missing one guy here; Where, oh where, is Thomas Cale from The Left Hand of God trilogy by Paul Hoffman?????????? http://www.lefthandofgodtrilogy.com/

8. Rocky says:

Er, isn’t Kylar Stern slightly immortal? The only person I know in the bracket that would have a chance against him would be Anomander Rake, and that would be an even match. That’s assuming that Dragnipur would be able to kill him, which I think it could.

9. EvilGrin says:

Where is Harry Dresden Wizard for hire? He has a knack for overcoming any odds, including the immortals.

10. Grimmy says:

I hope we get a match-up between Rake and Granny. I’m not sure the outcome would be certain on that one :P

Hopefully the malazanites will unite once again and bring us glorious victory…Rake FTW!

11. Ahem. Taran took out the Horned King in The Book of Three, but that was almost an accident (Horned King in the Chronicles of Prydain, not the Disney movie). It took Harry four novels to confront Voldemort for the first time. If Harry can get off a lucky shot he might have a chance. The Horned King in the CoP series was little more than a lackey, and an unlucky one at that. Harry’s a good fighter, but you have too much of a problem with others relying on him to carry the team. I don’t know what makes Jonathan Strange #2 in the brackets. He won’t last long if he manages to get past . He’s still slightly naive.

Go Bast! Go Jonathan Strange!

That is all.

12. Garaile says:

Of the first round, Richard Rahl and Atticus O’Sullivan are definitely the most “broken” characters. Rahl’s being a war wizard essentially is just deus ex machina written right into the character. Army in the way? Poof, all dust. Shenanigans.

For Atticus, if anyone’s read the Iron Druid Chronicles, you know he doesn’t freakin’ die. Plus, he has a sword that one-hits ANYTHING. Oh yeah, and he knows all the gods (ever). While the Norse won’t back him, he can still call in some serious backup.

13. Jer Wilcoxen says:

+1 @Ashley Balentine; for the Horned King call.
    +1 @Rocky; though Morrolan e’Drien can be counted as an immortal as well so long as he keeps his Great Weapon Blackwand in his hand.
    +1 @Jonathon; ditto on the reading list adds.

How does Tarzan make this league when John Carter is the far better swordsman and is a lot more culturally relevant this year?

How does Sparhawk get the #1 seed? Or are we assuming he’s holding the Sapphire Rose?

And I love the addition of Ferro Maljinn; but a #6 seed? Over the dual skilled sword/magic wielders in her bracket like Bast? -1 @Suvudu.

14. dpomerico says:

@Jer Wilcoxen: John Carter was in last year’s Cage Match. He lost in the first round:

15. Rose says:

I love the Cage Matches. Even when I don’t know the characters, I still love reading the write-ups, and then I end up imagining my own bizarre match-ups, which is even better. Yesterday, I was imagining how Cayal, the suicidal Immortal Prince invented by Jennifer Fallon would cope in the bracket. He could be paired with any of the typical killing-machine characters, and I imagine he’d basically stand there and say “do your worst!” in a very hopeful tone. Once he got bored and the other person was running out of violent ideas, he’d just kill the guy. (Cayal’s a Tide Lord, so he regenerates from any injury no matter what, and the worse the injury the faster he regenerates. Can even grow replacement heads, etc. Doesn’t starve… Lives for at least many millions of years…)
    So many awesome match-ups yet to be tried!

16. Ben says:

This is my first time seeing this, and I must say it’s kinda awesome!!!

Excited to see the horned king, didn’t know anyone knew about that series exept for me….

seriously though, Andomander Rake is OP he’s got a sword that if you touch the blood of whatever he has killed/cut with it it sends you into the warren within the sword (book one Paran touchs the blood of the hound that rake killed and is taken into the warren) and Tyrion Lannister could only win if a meteor fell on his opponent.

Keisler is awesome, just finished reading that series. Bast, Moraine….. this will be fun to see how unfolds…

17. Trickster says:

Atticus 0′Sullivan n Jardir FTW

18. Kyo says:

Team Kylar Stern…he has a slight case of immortality not to mention to being an awesome skilled wetboy. Name the plant TREEBEARD JR!!

19. CR Thompson says:

So exciting to see Erevis Cale get some love!

20. Alex Weblin says:

I’d just like to caution for future write ups, if you are basing the matches on the characters in their original novelized form, use the characters in their original novelized form, not the adaptations set forth in the TV shows and films. In round one it isn’t just Gimili who was de-novelized.

21. Mary says:

I am so excited we have so many great characters I hope Ray Lily wins his match!

22. Demon In Me says:

I would really, really like to see some of Anne Bishop’s characters from the Black Jewels Trilogy. Jaenelle, Saetan, Daemon, Lucivar…Awesome characters.

23. Nick says:

I hope Havemercy does really well. I LOVE this metal dragon!!!

24. James Bell says:

How can they forget all of Jim Butcher’s characters? Harry Dresden, Tavi (Gaius Octavian), etc, are all beast and part of some of the best books of all time.

25. James Bell says:

How can they forget all of Jim Butcher’s characters? Harry Dresden, Tavi (Gaius Octavian), etc, are all beast and part of some of the best boteoks of all time.

Not really sure how Anomander is a 3 seed… He’s like putting the Chicago Bulls into the NCAA tourney…

27. Carrie B says:

How did Harry Dresden not make it into this cage match?

28. DashWatson says:

I root for Kelsier, and Kylar Stern. hope to see them both in the finals, against each other…
    Where the heck is Harry Dresden when this Ray Lilly character is in???

29. DashWatson says:

Hopefully, it’ll come down to Kelsier and Kylar Stern. Kell will attack him with all sorts of stuff, but not raw magic, as the ka’kari devours raw magic. Also, Kell will be Kylar’s match in combat. But, Kylar has a serious case of immortality, I think IF he’s killed he’ll chose to stay dead somehow, making a pact with Ezra, rather than be the cause of death of the people he cares about. The only thing I fear is Kylar might try to poison Kell the night before the match…

GO KELSIER!
    GO KYLAR!

30. Akmea says:

I’m thinking it will also come down to Kelsier and Kylar Stern. Both are pure IV drips of adrenaline when you’re reading it.

Though, Bast making it to the end would be fun too…

31. Brian Bean says:

How in the Nine Hells is there not a single character from an R.A. Salvatore Book?? Drizzt, Breunor, Jarlaxle, Wolfgar, Entreri, and of course Cadderly. Is it because you don’t want 6 of the Elite Eight being from Salvatore?

32. Jon says:

@Brian Bean

Drizzt was in the very first one in 2010 where he made it all the way to the Semi-Finals before being defeated by Rand Al’Thor