Cage Match 2012: Round 3: Anomander Rake versus Bast

Anomander.jpg

Bast.jpg

Anomander Rake
Son of Darkness, Knight of High House Dark, Mane of Chaos, Blacksword
Age: Three hundred thousand years, give or take a century
Race: Tiste Andii
Weapons / Artifacts: Dragnipur, the night-bladed sword containing the Gate of Darkness
A metric Warren-load of magic

Bast
Bartender

Age: Unknown
Race: Fae creature
Weapons / Artifacts: Doesn’t seem to need any
Gets others to attack you to “bring out the best in you”

Advantages

• Combat experience stretching back longer than most religions
  • Ability to shape-shift into a dragon
  • Moon’s Spawn, a floating fortress
Advantages

• Incredibly charming
  • Faster and stronger than you’d expect
  • Might have picked up a thing or two from Kvothe
Disadvantages

• We’re guessing boredom at having to face such weak characters
Disadvantages

• Softness for the ladies and his master

The dragon cocked its head for a moment, and then, rather suddenly, a large, dark man with silvery-white hair was standing in its place.

“That should have worked.”

Bast shrugged.

“No, seriously,” Rake said. “You don’t have any abilities that I know of that would prevent you from being devoured by a dragon.” He shook his head. “Then again, you should have been destroyed when I cut you in two with my sword.”

“Or that fireball thing you did on me.”

“Exactly!” Rake looked around. “What’s going on?”

“I think you might have answered your own question,” Bast said.

“How so?”

“Well…you said I don’t have any abilities that you know of that would keep me alive. And yet…”

“Yes?”

“Well, what about the abilities you don’t know about?”

“But you don’t have any! That’s my point.”

“That you know of,” Bast repeated. “Who knows what’s going to be revealed in the next book.”

“But…but…,” Rake spluttered. He stopped, realizing this was probably the first time he had ever “spluttered.” He regained his composure. “So what do we do now?”

“I think some other guys did a coin toss—want to do that?”

Rake sighed. “Do…,” he sighed again. “Do you have a coin?”

“Right here,” Bast said, holding it up. “Heads or tails?”

Rake shrugged. “Heads.”

Bast flipped the coin…

Predicted Winner: ???*

NOTE: THIS MATCH ENDS ON THURSDAY, MARCH 22nd, 2012, AT 5 PM, EST

Check out the next match in the Starfleet Academy: Holodeck bracket!

Anomander Rake is a character from the The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson; Bast is a character from the Kingkiller Chronicles series by Patrick Rothfuss

Rake image courtesy of Michael Komarck and Subterranean Press. Bast image courtesy of ~YasminaMihaylovna

Don’t forget–we’re always looking for fans’ depictions of these characters. Check out the details here

*Rumor is that a Bast/Zaphod match-up could result in a Patrick Rothfuss write-up…

106 Responses to “Cage Match 2012: Round 3: Anomander Rake versus Bast”

1. Matthew says:

The more i read about the Malazan characters in these cage matches, the less i want to read the Malazan books. Is there anything in them besides super mega awesome unbeatable magical badasses eating gods and shitting flaming miracles?

A Rothfuss writeup of Bast v. Zaphod offers more entertainment value than any other possible outcome.

Bast ftw.

2. Shadow'sBane says:

@Darkest Lord
    that’s not a write-up….Pat just bribed the fans by offering them a Write-Up ;-)

3. This is absurd. If you chose Rake for the tournament, don’t make a mockery of him in your write ups. And to insinuate that Bast should win just so that we get some “treat” is a just cheap.

It means you’re using other considerations and outside factors to determine the outcome of a match. Stay “in universe”.

4. D.I. Waisanen says:

I think having Zaphod and Bast going on would be a worse bore than Anomander Rake continuing to defeat everything. A fight with Anomander could be made entertaining if all factors are considered and the fight is drawn out, as with Ari Marmell’s write-up of Mellorin vs. Rake. However, I’m thoroughly tired of “Zaphod escaped by this infinitely improbable luck! The universe molds itself to suit him!” nonsense. There comes a point where these match-ups are too silly to offer any actual insight onto who would actually win in a fight and just become insanity.

5. Just Just says:

as the polls are now, zaphod is done for this cagematch. bast however seems to be going down, so there propably won’t be a zaphod vs bast write up from Pat…

damn shame…

I hope he will still do such a write up at his blog, just for fun.

the good news would be; finaly no Zaphod messing with the probabilities anymore.

6. Primateus says:

@Matthew – The Malazan books are most commonly told from the narrative of common soldiers barring a few special cases. There, indeed, quite a few rather powerful characters, but the story is rarely told from their perspective. So it’s well worth the read.

As in regards to not knowing what powers Bast might have in an upcoming book…Utterly irrelevant. That’s the problem with series that are not yet done. You simply cannot discount other players because one character might have some crazy power in a book that has yet to be published. Certainly, pitting anyone in this years lineup against Anomander Rake is woefully unfair, to everyone but Rake. But it is also unfair to completely negate one competitors abilities, skills, powers, etc. because of one characters hypothetical power in a book that has yet to be published.

This writeup, while amusing, is actually rather stupid.

7. Matthew says:

In Steven Erikson’s books Anomander is not as overpowered as he may appear here. In fact that is apparent from the very first scene in the first of the novels.

I have read a lot of fantasy novels and Steven Erikson’s Malazan series is still by far my favourite of all. It is certainly not for the faint of heart. His world is enormous. I highly recommend it for anyone who is hesitant.

8. ARSOD says:

I have heard a rumour that claims Steven Erikson may be considering a Rake vs. Moiraine write up if Rake gets that far. Considering how Erikson writes action scenes – that would be A-mazing

9. MTS says:

‘Is there anything in them besides super mega awesome unbeatable magical badasses eating gods and shitting flaming miracles?’

Much, MUCH more, and Rake and QB are not at all representative of the relative power-levels of characters in the series – they’re very much at and near the top end of the spectrum respectively, thus their inclusion in these Cage Matches. I wouldn’t judge the entire series based on those two characters.

In any case, it must be remembered the Malazan series arose from tabletop RPG’ing – ridiculous over-the-top badassitude is to be expected sometimes.

10. Loki says:

The problem with pitting characters from different series against each other is that there is no way to scale them in regards to power and skill as each universe/world has it’s own set of rules and cannon. I mean, having people like Zaphod and Potter in the same competition as Cale, Rake and Revan is like having the local primary schools under 11 basketball team go up against the Lakers or Bulls. But while the cage match ups may make no sense and seem completely ridiculous more often then not, let’s not forget what the true intention of these cage matches is – to introduce people to knew authors and to encourage them to go out and read their books.
    Every year I end up with a new To Read pile as a result of these cage matches and I believe that if Suvudu can get even just a handful of other people to do the same thing then the cage matches are a success.

My only issue is when the write-ups clearly misrepresent characters, especially characters that I know about and/or like. Especially since the write-ups are what encourage me the most to investigate and read a new author. Hence why my copy of Ari Marmell’s The Conqueror’s Shadow arrived today – Marmell wrote a very interesting write-up that showed off his own character while at the same time being respectful to Rake. He could have have written it so Rebaine won and I still would have liked the write-up because it was RESPECTFUL to both characters.
    I know nothing about Bast but I do know enough about Rake to know that this write-up was very untrue to his character (at any point in the Malazan series). I would love to see Rake win the entire thing but I’m not going to kick up a fuss if he gets voted out – I’d just like him to at least leave on a decent write-up, not something competely at ends with who he is and how he’d behave.

11. Loki says:

@Samuel
    March 19, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Lol at the Malazan fans getting all huffy…

I think you’ll find it’s more a matter of Erikson fans being upset and/or annoyed at how Rake is being portrayed in the write-up then it has to do with winning.

We just want Rake to be represented fairly and this write-up doesn’t do that. The previous write-ups have been quite good and while they may not have been accurate they at least tried to be – this write-up shows no attempt to do justice to both characters.

I think Erikson fans are also getting a little annoyed and concerned at how the Malazan series is being represented and coming across to people who haven’t read it – Suvudu has included two characters from the Malazan Book of the Fallen series and both are at the high end of the powers scale. It would be like only talking about Rand and Moiraine or Sauron and Gandulf – it doesn’t give a fair idea of the actual division of power and the types of characters included in the series.

Allow us our frustration and ‘huffyness’ – you’d might even do the same thing if it was your favourite author and your favourite series that was being misrepresented.

12. Seriously, the point of cage matches is to have a realistic visualization of how a fight will go to satisfy our wish fulfillment fantasies. Having to resort to “out of world” incentives like promising a write up is cheating. Worse, it shows the management of suvudu is itself biased and is willing to interfere in a match.

If Rake loses this, I’m out of Suvudu forever since this isn’t why I read these matches.

13. Just Just says:

I think Loki is absolutly right, Cage Match is meant to introduce you to new authors. Personaly I just ordered Gardens of the Moon, just because this cage match got me interested. I hope that this will not be the only book that I order thanks to this cage match.

and though write ups like these, or the one with granny vs the fool, might be fun, they don’t encourage me to read the original books.

so maybe it should be just as in 2010, when both authors submitted a write up, so you could see them honour their own character, get a good look at what you might consider reading, and showing of their style of writing.

Patrick Rothfuss’ write up on his blog (http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/) might not portrait Rake at his best, or even remotly accurate, it is at least a little more fun than this one, so if you are fed up by the fact this is a boring, stupid write up, or just if you had expected a little more, click the link and enjoy!

14. Matthew says:

Anyone who thinks this series is anything more than a glorified popularity contest is kidding themselves.

15. Matthew says:

And by “series” i mean the cage matches – not the books.

16. Kvothe_the_Bloodless says:

The Pat-Rothfuss-Call-to-Arms seems to be kicking in…Go Bast Go!

17. One Point says:

To everyone who is complaining that Rake is overpowered and why did Suvudu include him in this Cage Match:

Rake was not the only god-level being included, and in the beginning, there were several other characters quite capable of giving him a run for his money. Guys like Kelhus, Caine, Tomas, and The Dagda Moor. Notice something about the above guys? That’s right, you killed them all in favor of your favorite characters. And Mr. Wednesday’s going down for the count. About the only character left that could logically stand a chance is Granny Weatherwax.

So don’t complain about Rake steamrolling over the competition. You killed the only guys capable of opposing him (though from the start, I have been salivating over a Granny vs. Rake match).

And, dear Suvudu, maybe you’re not trying to be biased toward Bast (benefit of the doubt here). If so, it would have been better to have this match end in Bast’s favor. Because now, it looks like you’re saying, ‘vote whichever way you want, but if you vote this way, you’ll get a really juicy write-up’.

18. Rose says:

I think the Gods of Suvudu have just as much right to be drooly fans as the rest of us: they can get excited about the matches and leave it open if they love both characters or whatever. We shouldn’t demand that they behave perfectly decorously at all times just because they’re the hosts. This isn’t a fancy dinner party, this is a cage match geek-out partaaaayy!!!.

Plus they’re probably as flummoxed as everybody else as to why Bast keeps illogically succeeding. I’m quite happy with their job here. (Better than some write-ups, not as good as others.)

19. theAKpal says:

I finished the first Rake book earlier today. I read it because of these matches. In it, Rake is shown (but mostly implied) to be extremely powerful. Mostly, it seems his sword is the biggest scare factor. The story, however, only has Rake as a minor character. Not minor in the sense that he is weak or unimportant, but minor in the sense that he’s just not in it that much. I’ll probably read a few more of the books, but I’m not sure I like Erikson’s style. It’s too jumpy, constantly switching from one character/plot-line to another.

I’ve read both Rothfuss’s books. He is a fantastic writer. I love the series so far (also, the physical hardcover itself: love the paper used to print it). Neither Bast’s nor Kvothe’s powers have been flushed out so far, only implied in the storyline. As with Rake, Bast is a minor character.

Given what Rake’s fans have said regarding his power, I believe he’d win and have voted as such.

BTW, I like the write-up. To all those complaining about how Rake has been portrayed, pull the stick out. Also, I don’t think riling up Rake fans is nearly as dangerous as riling up Rothfuss fans. Has any of the Rake novels hit #1 on the NYT bestseller list (fiction)? I’d be surprised. You don’t get that high unless a lot of people buy the books.

20. Darastrix Thrae says:

People leaving comments here don’t seem to realize that with the difference in power of the characters and the fact that the votes from fans determine victory, this is a popularity contest. The write-ups are just for fun on everyone’s part. Don’t tell us to stay ‘in universe’.

21. David says:

@Baghwad “Seriously, the point of cage matches is to have a realistic visualization of how a fight will go”.

You’re right…it’s all just soooo unrealistic. [/sarcasm]

22. HoosierDaddy says:

@theAKpal

The pov shifting is something that remains fairly constant throughout the series. However, before bailing I’d ask you to read the next two. They are widely considered to be “the best” in the series, and they are really, really enjoyable. However, if after the third you are still meh, you can probably give it up with no worries about missing on something you’d really, really like.

And Rothfuss is a very good writer. Just wish he wrote a little faster. :)

23. Chris says:

Rake becomes more important later on, and exactly why that sword he carries is so terrifying and how he came to have it are explained.

The jumping in pov is something I got used to in the WOT, but Erikson dumps you right in the middle of an ongoing story, and never pauses for introductions. You have to watch your footing so you don’t get swept away, but it is a very entertaining series if you don’t get overwhelmed. (I think POV jumping is something epic fantasy loves doing).

24. Abyss says:

With my utmost apologies and gratitude to Steven Erikson and Patrick Rothfuss, an attempted write up is below.

Most of this is conjecture based on the thinnest of hints from the first books each of the characters appears in. But there are things that one would only learn from reading those books, so consider yourself warned… here there be
    SPOILERS
    SPOILERS
    SPOILERS
    for GARDENS OF THE MOON and THE NAME OF THE WIND.

“Teacher told me there’d be days like this.”
    Bast sprinted through the forest. Behind him trees shattered and burned, peculiar ripples of darkness and burning light playing at the edges of his vision as he sprinted away from the dragon’s breath yet again. He risked a glance over his shoulder, through the trees at the massive night black beast circling above the trees. His eyes, sharper than any human’s, focused on the head, a massive alligator-like nightmare crowned with a mass of white spikes, and he saw what he was looking for.

Kvothe’s voice spoke from memory… Watch, learn, strike. …another fae trick… perfect recall… another lesson from a teacher to his brash fae student, not so brash any more after so much time, so many lessons… he had watched, and now he had learned, and it was time to strike. Slowing just enough for the dragon to see at least a blur fleeing below it, Bast ran back the way he had come.

Rake circled. Furious draconic thought warred with cool logic. His draconic nature screamed at him to reduce the forest below to ash. To raze it to the ground and find his prey and feel its blood on his fangs. The Son of Mother Dark was not one to succumb to such urges. Darkness was order. Darkness was patient. His elusive prey below was circling back, perhaps trying to return to the empty ale house where Rake had first found him, perhaps for a weapon or escape. No matter. He had a sense of the man’s speed and agility now. Banking to line up a blast, Rake let his warrens… Kurald Galain, elder darkness, and Starvald Demelain… the breadth of Chaos, of dragons, build within him.

Bast glanced up again. The dragon was lining up for a shot. The massive jaw unhinged. In a moment it would spread wide and that horrific energy would spill down again. This time Bast was ready. Choose your ground… Kvothe again… and if your opponent chooses it, make it yours. He had. The dragon needed moments to open wide. Those moments were his. This stretch of forest was his.

Still on the run, his arm snapped out, uprooting a young sapling he had spotted on the run when the pursuit had begun. It tore from the ground easily in his grip. Bast spun it once, snapped off the thin roots at the base, again halfway up the trunk, and as he entered a small clearing he had spotted earlier he skidded to a stop and threw the sapling with all his inhuman strength, straight at the dragon’s mouth.

Rake saw the motion, saw the missile flying at his face and banked, almost too late. The sapling tore at the edge of his open jaws, throwing off his aim. The scales of his draconic form were too strong for such a simple weapon, but the skin at the edge of his mouth was not. The pain was surprising, shocking even. He reared back, discharging his warrens into the sky, brilliant white and deepest black energy dispersing in a massive blast that hit only air.

Bast had been hoping to send the tree right down the dragon’s throat but the spoiled shot was still useful for two reasons. It gave him a moment out of the dragon’s sight, and it rewarded his faith that the thing was vulnerable. He just needed to hit it in the right place. Now was his chance. Six saplings, six clear lines of attack through the forest canopy. He had marked them all while fleeing from the dragon’s assault, and now the dragon was dead centre in a target range and didn’t even know it. Kvothe’s favourite lesson… Don’t kick your enemy when he’s down… stab the fuck out of him.

The next tree hit Rake in the throat. Not hard enough to penetrate, but enough to make him flinch after the hit to his mouth. He swung his long neck, looking for the prey. Another tree flew up, hitting his side. He barely felt that one and banked again. The next one took him full in the wing joint. Another right in the sail. And another in the joint, hard enough to make the wing almost buckle even while the skin and bone held.

Rake wavered in the air. A mere dragon, a simple beast, would likely have fallen from the sky at that point. As it was, he drew in power from his warrens. Pure Starvald Demelain this time, a wave of force gathered below him to lower him to the ground.

Conscious that his form was static in the air, and not wanting to give his foe the opportunity to strike with yet another tree, Rake sembled forms as he floated towards the ground. A thrown tree flew through where his draconic head had been an instant before.

Bast cursed as the massive dragon suddenly blurred in the air, the thrown sapling passing through the blur as it lowered. Bast had a brief view of a more human form congealing before it dropped below the treeline. He kept his last tree in hand, stripping the branches and the trunck down to a quarterstaff length, and slowed his run. Not at all winded from the extended chase, Bast drew his longsword and slowly closed on where his opponent had landed. Kvothe’s words yet again… delivered with a heavy sigh… Sometimes it just comes down to sharp pointy things.

Rake sensed the man approaching. There was enough power in his foe, enough ingenuity and fighting spirit, to at least merit a short meeting before the inevitable. He stood still in the clearing, and waited, turning to face the direction he knew the man approached from. His sharp eyes picked out the human form. Simple homespun clothes, white skin, brown hair. Bright eyes and an aura of power that was unusual. Not immense, but different. Unusual even. Not any shade of Tiste, not Jaghut embedded or a K’chain Che’malle experiment, nor any other race he was familiar with. But not human. Clearly not. No warren, Elder or new, that Rake had ever sensed before. Unremarkable to look at, but he held the longsword with familiarity, and the staff in his off-hand with an ease that demonstrated he clearly didn’t require two hands to wield it. A true opponent, perhaps.

Bast gave up the stealthy approach when the tall dark skinned man looked right at him through the trees. Sword and staff at the ready, he walked into the clearing and looked at his opponent’s new form. Shapeshifters were nothing new, but this form was different from any fae or human Bast had encountered before. Tall, taller than most humans or Fae, with dark skin that seemed to absorb the fading light from the sunset. White white hair framing sharp features, and eyes without iris or pupil that shifted colour again and again. And, most important, the handle of a massive two handed sword over his shoulder. All in all, very intimidating. But… Looks aren’t everything. And sometimes looks aren’t anything. Kvothe’s lesson, but Bast had proven it himself many times. He stepped into the clearing.

“Thank you for not destroying the inn.” Bast said. It seemed like the polite thing to acknowledge the gesture. Or appear to.

Rake shrugged, wiping a thin line of dark blood from the edge of his mouth. “You had to exit eventually. I have a fondness for such places.”

Bast tilted his head. This part-time dragon liked human ale houses? Talk is a weapon. And less messy than the sharp pointy things. Bast almost grinned at his teacher’s wisdom.

“I am Bast. I don’t suppose we could just go back there and have a few drinks and talk this out?”

The tall man shrugged again.

“I an Anomandaris Dragnipurake. Or simply Rake. You were told I was coming. You know why. We have no other choices, though I regret the…”

Bast put every bit of Fae speed and agility into his attack while the tall man… Rake… was mid-sentence. Talk is also a distraction. Kvothe had used that trick on Bast back when they first met. He led with the staff, a high wide sweep towards the head while his longsword stabbed forward and low towards the groin.

He barely saw Rake move and a wave of power slammed him downwards. Pressure, his ears and nose aching, eyes watering, chains… CHAINS… the sound of a thousand thousand chains in his ears and on his bones, he stumbled short of the man, his longsword dipping, barely finishing the swing of the staff, barely at Rake’s shoulder. A sweep of the massive sword… Bast hadn’t even seen him draw… split the wood, sending half its length flying out of the clearing. Bast stared at the severed half in his hand, still upraised, all power of the swing gone. His inhuman eyes caught the barest hint of motion and from his knees he threw himself back hard, just barely dodging the massive sword as it swung down past his face. Shacking his head to clear it, he forced himself up. ‘Up, dammit, UP…’ he thought. ‘Die on your feet, or better yet, don’t die at all.’. Not Kvothe’s words this time. His own.

Rake looked down at Bast as the Fae struggled to his feet. He allowed him a moment, forcing down Dragnipur’s power enough that the sword’s warren didn’t echo as strongly as it had when he drew it.

“An admirable attack. Surprise, speed, considerable power though I did not sense you draw on any source.”

He held up the two-handed sword at guard. Thin trails of vapor rose where the setting sun’s rays filtered through the trees and danced across it.

Bast felt the echoes of those chains again. What WAS that sword? The vapor almost seemed… no. He blinked and drew on his own Fae nature, that power beyond anything humans had. Strength filled his limbs. He steadied. He saw Rakes eyes widen slightly as his false human visage dropped away, showing his true face.

Bast attacked again. Striking with his sword, stabbing with the short spear his staff had become. Rake defended and the two handed sword was everywhere, weaving a defence with impossible speed, battering away each weapon, striking in with massive sweeps that Bast had to leap and duck. The fight went on for seconds, each man moving faster than humans could follow, had any been there to watch the fight. Rake perhaps faster, but Bast attacking with a savage, brutal, style… one Rake thought could only be human in origin.

Bast saw his opening. The two handed sword was a long weapon, huge even. Not meant for close fighting. Bast charged in hard, feinting with the longsword, catching the two handed sword’s weight and momentum, then dropping it, moving in, batting Rake’s weapon aside with his bare hand and stabbing with the spear into Rake’s chest.

The spear barely penetrated. Rake grabbed the haft with one hand, the tip just barely through Rake’s dark tunic. Bast gripped the two handed sword’s blade in his hand, ignoring the pain that caused, and bore down on the spear, straining to jam it into his foe’s chest. Rake stood, tall and still. After a moment all the strength left Bast’s body and he lost his grip on spear and sword both. He fell to the ground. His cut hand was suddenly ice, then numb, the feeling spreading through him mercilessly. He felt himself… fading.

Rake’s dark face, eyes shifting blue, now red, now black, filled his fading vision. Bast dimly heard the man speak.

“I regret… that you have earned Dragnipur.”

Rake stood in the fading light and watched Bast’s body fade. After a moment he stepped back into the centre of the clearing and veered to his draconic form. Flexing the wing Bast had struck, he propelled himself into the sky with a burst of power and departed.

Bast woke up what seemed like an instant later. He wanted to spring to his feet but he felt… tired… no, more like… empty. Sound flooded his ears a moment later. Chains… so many chains, and groans, metal on wood and wood on hard earth, like something huge being dragged…he opened his eyes and sat up. A chain dangled from his neck, its length disappearing into murky darkness behind him. A footstep landed near him and he jumped up, ready to defend… a short, slender figure in dirty clothing and a remarkably shiny white mask decorated with red symbols regarded him briefly and kept walking past. Bast noticed the figure was also chained at the neck, dragging the length behind it as though moving something heavy. Other figures appeared from the murk now. Tall, hulking, demonic, others quite human, others less distinct. Above him shadows that resembled Rake’s dragon form flew… and although it was difficult to see anything clearly, they too seemed to be chained. The shuffle of feet and rattle of chains became louder now, all around… and the other sound… the sound of wheels… impossible, massive wheels. A huge, square form resolved now, so slowly out of the darkness. A wagon, bigger than any such construct had any right to be. And running from its every angle, chains. Hundreds, thousands of chains. The vision was stunning and horrifying and Bast could barely take it in. A hooded figure, chained and pulling like the rest, walked by, then paused near him.

“Best start pulling lad. Once Rake sends you here, it’s pull or be pulled. You pull, well, that’s something ain’t it? You be pulled… well…” the figure gestured vaguely towards a mess of chains dimly visible being dragged behind the wagon. There were… things… forms… among the mess.

Bast stared back at the wagon. He tried to think of one of Kvothe’s lessons that could help him here. Nothing came to mind.

25. Arai says:

I’ve read the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, and the two books published so far in the Kingkiller chronicles.

In terms of pure martial firepower, Anomander wins hands down.

However, as written, the contest is to be decided by a coin toss, and c’mon it’s Bast’s coin!!

The Fae definitely do not play fair, particularly when it comes to luck.

Anomander might as well challenge Oponn to the toss of a coin.

26. Voight says:

@Abyss

That is a BRILLIANT write-up – well done! :D

27. Reader says:

@Abyss
    wow just wow

28. Alcor'es Rand says:

@Abyss

I’m still voting Bast but that it a fantastic write-up. I’ve read both series and while I’m sure Rake would win I just really want to see a Rothruss write-up. So, Bast gets my popular vote but your write-up is how it WOULD happen. Very well done. And I’m sort of sorry I already voted for Bast given how well you wrote that. But still – ROTHRUSS WRITE-UP!

29. Loki says:

@Abyss

Simply brilliant.

This is why *you* win ;)

30. HoosierDaddy says:

Hot damn, Abyss!

Brilliant! A true write-up. Perhaps weighted towards Rake, but Bast was given his due at least!

31. Trippy says:

I haven’t read either serious but I have been following Bast and Rake’s battles as they seem like interesting characters in very different ways. I’ve been reading the comments trying to decide who to vote for – I understand that Rake is powerful but Bast appears crafty and sometimes that is more likely to see you win a battle then raw strength. However I have now made my mind up having read that fan writeup by Abyss. That was just a great piece of writing and if it is at all indicitive of how the Malzan series is written I think I’m going to really enjoy it. Either way, wonderful writeup.

These is what makes the suvudu cage matches great – encouraging people to read AND write :)

32. KL says:

*Abyss wins* :D

33. Loki says:

Apt doesn’t have a chance in Hell after this.

Well played, Abyss. Well played XD

34. Lord Eltar says:

@Abyss

Fantastic write up! Maybe Suvudu could possibly place your write up next to the original one. Food for thought.

35. HoosierDaddy says:

Apt never had a chance.

36. TapperMalaz says:

Nice one, Abyss!

37. Spindle says:

@Abyss:

Awesome write-up!

38. AnomanderRakeSoD says:

And… we all know Abyss was being very kind to BAST. Still nice write up mate

39. KL says:

I disagree, ARSoD. Abyss did a great write up that was fair to both characters. I really don’t see why you needed to make such a condescending comment. If you’re going to be like that, don’t include the rest of us in it.

40. Lizra says:

That write-up is absolutly awesome, Abyss!

41. Loki says:

@HD – True ^_^

42. Darkest Lord says:

is this the ABYSS from the malazanempire forums? great write up man

43. Just Just says:

best write up so far posted on cage match I think.

44. Wibbet says:

I have NO IDEA why Bast fans think this is a good write up? They’ve made a complete fool of him. Bast is much more sauve and charming and this is not how even he would settle the fight – think about it.

I haven’t read the Rake series but that guy Abyss wrote a better battle and he had Rake winning!

Maybe suvudu should ask for fan submissions or something.

Go Bast!

45. Baco says:

And the mystery that is Abyss becomes….mysteriouser?

46. champ says:

bravo abyss!

47. Bryan says:

Vote Abyss! Awesome write up…

Rake is just too damn powerful. Suvudu shouldn’t allow gods in cage matches, but oh well.

48. Rhulad says:

Well played Abyss.

49. Onrack says:

Rake is not a god.
    Anyway i agree that it’s not fair to always pick characters from the top of the power scale, especially from Malazan (who’ll be next? Draconus?).
    It would be WAY funnier/more interesting to see characters like Fiddler, Hedge, Hellian or THEOL (a tehol beddict cage match would be awesome) .