Cage Match 2012: Round 4: Moiraine Damodred versus Kelsier

Kelsier
The Survivor
Age: 38
Race: Mistborn
Weapons / Artifacts: Metal vials; glass and obsidian daggers
Ironpulling and Steelpushing

Advantages

• Strong in the One Power—a veritable demigod amongst men
  • Battle-tested veteran
  • A woman (and therefore underestimated, because let’s face it: SF/F women often get a bum rap)
Advantages

• Master of Allomancy
  • Super-tough: Survived the Pits of Hathsin
  • Cunning and charming—a deadly combo
Disadvantages

• Obsessive about her life’s mission, to the point that she’s willing to risk unraveling the fabric of space-time to achieve it.
Disadvantages

• Stubborn, reckless, and impulsive (you know, a guy)

• Tarzan
    Del Rey editor Frank is crying right now
  • The Dagda Mor
    One Power trumps the Staff of Power
  • Jardir
    He lost to the very Core of his being

How Brandon Sanderson, creator of Kelsier and coauthor of the final three Wheel of Time books, thinks the match will go:

WARNING: THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR BOTH THE MISTBORN BOOKS AND THE WHEEL OF TIME

Kelsier flipped a coin off the side of the White Tower. He sat at its apex–upon the ledge that rimmed the tower’s top–with one of his legs hanging out over the side.

He watched the coin sparkle as it fell. The wind up this high smelled fresh. Sharp.

“So,” Moiraine said, approaching the ledge, “here you are. Sitting there seems foolhardy.”

“I like heights.”

“I could shove you off with a weave of Air,” Moiraine said. “Send you tumbling toward the ground.”

“Which is precisely why I dropped a coin,” Kelsier said, throwing another for good measure. “To be honest, though, I’m not particularly interested in fighting you.”

“I don’t believe we were given a choice.”

“We could always stage a revolt,” Kelsier said. “Hunt down the people who did this to us. I have it on good authority that they’re all just a bunch of scribes.”

“No good,” Moiraine said. “I tried to find them through the Portal Stones already. But, if you do not wish to fight, we could always settle this by using plausibility as a measure. As I understand it, you’re actually dead.”

“Spoilers,” Kelsier said.

“We’ll put a warning at the top,” Moiraine replied, settling down on the ledge, sparing not a glance for the plunge. “And don’t change the topic. I believe that I would win, as you’re actually a corpse.”

“You’re dead too,” Kelsier said.

“I got better.”

“You did?” Kelsier said, surprised.

“Book Thirteen.”

“Damn. I got stuck in Book Ten.”

“It’s not as bad as people say,” Moiraine replied. “Mat’s sections are wonderful.”

“Well,” Kelsier said, “I don’t think it matters if you came back. We could just say this is me from the middle of the first Mistborn book. Besides, I think I eventually got better myself.”

“Doesn’t count. You became a disembodied voice that may or may not have actually been speaking into the mind of a young boy who was probably insane.”

“Yes,” Kelsier said, “but my series has a long way to go yet. Who knows what could happen? I’ve heard that some very remarkable things can happen with spikes . . .”

Moiraine sighed. “Well, if you will not accept that argument, then it will have to come to down to a fight. I do not enter a contest except to win.” Though her calm features betrayed no emotions, her eyes shone with a quiet intensity. A mountain would budge from its place before this woman abandoned her goals.

“I like you,” Kelsier said, smiling. “You’ve got something of the psychopath to you.”

“Prepare yourself,” Moiraine said.

Kelsier held up a finger. “One problem. I believe that there are these little things called the Three Oaths, and–as it turns out–I’m not a Darkfriend.”

“Oh, please,” Moiraine said. “Obviously the Oaths aren’t in force. How could I have gotten this far otherwise?”

“No idea,” Kelsier said. “In this match, however, I’m certain that the one writing it won’t let you violate your innate principles. Therefore, I doubt you can hurt me.”

“I’ll tie you in weaves of Air.”

“That won’t count as a victory,” Kelsier said. “Cage match, to the death, blah blah.”

“I’m certain they’ll make an exception.”

“I’ll file an appeal,” Kelsier said.

“You can’t–”

“You’ll find I’m good at doing the impossible,” Kelsier said. “It’s one of my specialties.”

“Too bad staying alive isn’t another of them.”

“Touché.”

“Does that word even make sense in-world?”

“Damned if I know,” Kelsier said. “We got away with ‘hat trick,’ didn’t we? Anyway, if you tie me in air, I vow to stall. For as long as I can, as loudly as I can.”

Moiraine shrugged. “Why should I care?”

“Because you have something better to be doing.”

“And you don’t?”

“Please,” Kelsier said. “I already saved the world. It only took me one book, I’ll add.”

“That’s funny, because from what I’ve heard, you left that ‘saved’ world in a fairly awful state. Your friends ended up doing all the work in the next few books; the only thing you did was provide a convenient skeleton.”

“Details.” Kelsier said. “The point here is that I can afford to lounge about, but you can’t. If you win this match, you’ll have to go on fighting in this thing for weeks longer. All of that will distract you from your purpose. And, to remind you, the longer I drag this conversation out, the longer a certain person isn’t working on the conclusion of your story.”

“Oh please,” Moiraine said. “The guy writes thousand-page books in his sleep every night. It won’t take him long to write this.”

“Be that as it may,” Kelsier replied, “I think you underestimate my ability to make a complete nuisance of myself. I promise you, I can draw this out. Hell, I’ll bet I could turn this conversation of ours into at least a novella. Maybe a six-part epic.”

Moiraine folded her arms, glaring at him.

“Face it,” Kelsier said. “If you want Randal–or whatever is name is–to get on with that saving the world business, you’re just going to have to forfeit. You don’t have time for this, woman. You’ve got a schedule to keep.”

She considered it. The breeze rustled his mistcloak.

“That smirk of yours is insufferable,” she finally said.

“Thank you. I practiced extensively.” He held out a hand. “Do we have a deal? You return to the Last Battle, and I spend my postmortem retirement filling people with lots of holes–preferably of the type that bleed vigorously.”

“Fine,” Moiraine said, slipping down off the wall and walking away. “I never had an interest in this in the first place.”

“Wait,” Kelsier said, hopping off the wall and grabbing Moiraine by the arm. “We forgot something.”

“And what, precisely, is that?”

“Fanservice,” Kelsier said, then dipped her low and leaned in for a kiss.

He froze halfway through the move.

“Unfortunately for you,” Moiraine said, slipping out of his grip and leaving him wrapped in weaves of Air, “I am taken. I have tied off the weaves; they should unravel in . . . oh, one week’s time.” She glanced at the sky. “Looks like rain.”

She slipped away down the steps into the White Tower.

Well, Kelsier thought, smiling as a drop of rain hit his cheek, I suppose that could have gone worse than it did.

Predicted Winner: Kelsier

NOTE: THIS MATCH ENDS ON THURSDAY, MARCH 29th, 2012, AT 5 PM, EST

Check out the previous match from the Miskatonic University Field House bracket!

Check out the next match!

Moiraine Damodred is a character from the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan; Kelsier is a character from the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson

Moiraine image courtesy of Jason Chan and Tor Books. Kelsier image courtesy of Ben McSweeney

Don’t forget–we’re always looking for fans’ depictions of these characters. Check out the details here

112 Responses to “Cage Match 2012: Round 4: Moiraine Damodred versus Kelsier”

1. J.N. Duncan says:

Ok, Brian, that was fabulous. How the hell am I going to chose on this one? I’ll have to ponder on this one a couple of days and vote later.

2. wcarter4 says:

Sanderson is a Kelsier/Moraine shipper?! Umm wow…

3. Drayr says:

Great write-up. I would rather have this then a fight to the death any day.

4. Sean says:

Ahaha. Haha. Ha. Sanderson is actually The Best.

One question though… at the bottom it says: \Special thanks to Aidan Moher from A Dribble of Ink, who collaborated with Peter V. Brett to write up this Cage Match\. What’s that about?

5. Sir Read-a-Lot says:

This is pure gold.

6. JOE says:

After being tied in Air at the top of the Tower for a while, Kel was struck by lightning. Moiraine hadn’t thought of that. oh well, she wins anyway.

7. Longshanks says:

GREAT writeup! Unfortunately, I’ll have to disagree with our esteemed author and vote Moiraine – after all, Kelsier would have died of dehydration in less than a week, even burning pewter.

8. Blargh001 says:

The only cage match that had an author writing with full knowledge of the powers of both participants, and then there’s no fighting :s I am disappoint.

9. Shadow'sBane says:

well….who should i vote for…
    i love Wheel of Time…its my Favorite Fantasy…But Kell is a very good character….it bloody difficult to choose…

10. BDM says:

I voted Kel, because the WOT fandom is nastiest fandom in existence.

11. JOE says:

seriously, Kel would die in a week or less. Moiraine is just sitting around in the Tower waiting for the next battle.
    As much as I like the Survivor, you made it into more of an argument than a fight. And she’s an AES SEDAI. If anything, she probably could have tricked HIM into giving up somehow… than still tied him in Weaves and left him to die.

12. Kyo says:

That was awesome! Thanks to Brandon for such an amazing write up – Kel is such a charmer ^^

13. Boron says:

are you kidding me? that wasn´t a write up, that was just two characters boosting about their books(which they don´t even know about, because they are from a world, where this books don´t exist). That was an advertisment, and a badly done one at that. There´s no way i´ll vote for either of them. neither deserves to be here, in the first place.
    i´m sure your fans will like this, because thats what fans do. mr. sanderson, but you sure as hell won´t find any new ones with that. I for one just crossed the mistborne series off my to read list.

14. Shadow'sBane says:

@Boron…
    u are be practically removing ‘B’ from your name and adding ‘M’ in its place by the comment there…
    i know that there is no fight becoz author finds it difficult to let any of his Fan-base down…
    and to let u know…there is more to characters than their magical powers…

and Cage match is supposed to be a
    Character VS Character
    and NOT
    Magic System VS Magic System.

i vote for the character i like…..
    and in this match i can’t vote…

15. D.I. Waisanen says:

This has to be the funniest write-up yet, even though it utterly demolishes any semblance of a fourth wall. Kelsier trying to get into Moiraine’s pants was something I was hoping to see but didn’t really think would happen, and Moiraine tying him up and leaving him out in the rain was one outcome I foresaw for a Moiraine victory.

\Damn, I stuck in Book 10.\

You said it, Kelsier! Crossroads of Twilight really was the slowest of the bunch.

Anyway, in an actual fight, Moiraine’s abilities would afford her more flexibility and raw power, and she could stave off any of Kelsier’s attacks with air weaves. However, Kelsier could also win if he got the drop on her or if he stole her angreal, without which she is reduced to only a smidgeon of power–he IS a master thief and an expert at stealth.

I’m a bit torn on this one, again.

16. D.I. Waisanen says:

There’s a minor error in Kelsier’s information: His first two kills are the characters that Ray Lilly defeated. They should be Gale Hawthorne and Chess Putnam, instead.

17. Dragon Reborn says:

Remember, Moiraine isn’t powerful now after coming out of the Tower of Ghenjei, so Kel could probably take her.

Man I am torn whom to vote for…

18. telobsidion says:

It’s pretty difficult for me to imagine who would actually win in a real fight. They both have moves they could use in an instant to completely disarm the other person. How quickly could Moiraine tie up Kelsier in air and gag him and engulf him in lightning or fire? How quickly can Kelsier hit Moiraine with a strong mix of Rioting and Soothing and cause her to lose her control of Saidar, or even just to momentarily stun her (though that tends not to be Keslier’s style) before pelting her with coins? This seems like one of the fights that would be decided by who was quickest to draw the gun, so to speak.

I think I’ll give my vote to Kelsier. The WoT has had pretty good representation the last few years. I know Vin made it pretty deep into the bracket last time around, but I think the Mistborn magic system is very unique and, to be honest, more interesting (and I’m a larger WoT fan than a Mistborn fan, though I love both). On top of that, I think both of them have a pretty even chance of winning this match anyway.

So Kelsier it is.

19. Boron says:

shadowbane, you are absolutely right, there is more to characters than their magical powers. And whenever moraine or Rake or anyone else of this overpowerd characters is going up against a character with depht, all their fans only say “but he/she has this magical ability (i.e. balefire) and he would win anyway”, so don´t tell me all off a sudden, it´s about the depht of the characters because neither the write up´s nor the fans have shown any depht for this characters. and this particular write up didn´t either.
    as you, i vote for whom i like. I don´t know both of this. so i was excited the author wrote for both because i thought i finally could learn something about them. i was vastly disapointed. You don´t see what they can do (well i know, balefire, erasing people from reality, yada yada yada), you can´t even see how they behave, because they are doing nothing an das they talk about thinks they´d never know (their books) you can´t asume that their characters are portrait corectly in the slightest. As i said, i´m sure the fans will like it, but for anyone else this is the worst write-up possible.
    the missing depht is exactly what grinds my gear in this.
    And insulting people with other opinions doesn´t prove you right, either.

20. Just Just says:

@ Boron, I don’t agree with that, I actually enjoyed this write up immensly. I actually had no intentions of reading the mistborne series, but after this write up I am thinking about going to the library to see if they have ‘m there!

21. Chaos says:

Oh my gosh. I’m dying laughing. Literally, rolling on the floor laughing.

22. Bryan says:

@Boron, Its Mistborn not mistborne… and if you don’t read them, oh well your loss.

23. Jacob says:

@Boron – Quit being such a baby. Nobody cares what you will and will not read. Sanderson isn’t lacking readers and so I’m sure he’ll do just fine without your contribution. You’re doing a disservice to yourself, not the author. I don’t particularly like the write-up either but you’re ridiculous.

24. darniil says:

For those wondering, Sanderson just flipped a coin and wrote something that met with that outcome.

On a different note…
    “I’ve heard that some very remarkable things can happen with spikes . . .””
    Two atium spikes + one male channeler and one female channeler = ?

25. Eltar says:

Gosh dangit, I wish that Suvudu would stop making comments disappear. But as I said in my mysteriously vanished comment, I think that this was a fantastic write up. I’m glad that Sanderson chose to have the two characters talk rather than fight. After all, Kelsier was a seminal figure in creating a revolution while Moraine dealt with politicians, royalty and schemers on a daily basis. It’s good to see traits other than their battle skills being placed on display.

@ Boron

1) Please do not assume that powerful characters such as Rake or Moraine lack depth. Read the books first before you make comments regarding their complexity or lack thereof. You might be pleasantly surprised.
    2) Follow your own advice and do not insult the opinions of other people. You were not as bad as the person you were making reference to, but please, follow what you preach.
    3) As I said above, the talking between the two characters is actually fitting for them. In addition to being powerful warriors both characters are accomplished speakers and manipulators. There’s more than just one side to both of them.

26. Joel says:

@Boron,
    I get the disappointment, I actually already knew that Sanderson wasn’t going to write a “real” fight between them because he had already said he didn’t have the time to invest in doing it properly, and since he couldn’t do it properly he chose to do a humorous one instead. So I wasn’t upset by this write-up, although I would have loved to see him actually write the fight, since he’s really the only person who can do it properly I think.
    Hopefully knowing his reasons will placate your opinion of this some, and you really should read his series’, they’re wonderful.

Boron is not entirely off base with his comment;

“…whenever moraine or Rake or anyone else of this overpowerd characters is going up against a character with depht, all their fans only say “but he/she has this magical ability (i.e. balefire) and he would win anyway”, so don´t tell me all off a sudden, it´s about the depht of the characters…”

As I mentioned in a previous Moraine round, there havve been a number of times in previous Cage matches that certain WoT fans have done 180’s on their principles to support their characters… No surprise that some of them would do it now…

28. Huh says:

I agree with Boron. The hack that wrote this write-up should have at least read or at least Googled Mistborn and WoT before trying to write about them.

Wait, what?

29. Dreavyn says:

100% agree with Eltar! :)

30. D.I. Waisanen says:

I think I’ll be happy with the outcome whatever it is, so long as it’s close, and so far, it seems to be. This two were both invincible before coming to this match-up; if they hadn’t met each other here, they might have done so in the semis or even the finals.

31. Abyss says:

Fun!

32. ~ap~ says:

@telobsidion, great thought process on who you think would win and why… you’ve almost convinced me to vote for Kelsier when I was set on Mo! Methinks I’ll let it stew awhile before deciding, because this is definitely a tough choice between these two. Mo is one of my favorites in the WoT and Kelsier is… well, Kelsier. Gotta love him!

While I was moderately disappointed not to see fighting, I would have been a sad fan to see either of them kill the other. So I’m actually pleased to see the way Brandon decided to write this match, it was better than the Kylar Stern/Harry Potter match, which was also quite a lot of fun!

@Boron, it’s too bad you’ve opted out of reading the Mistborn series because of this write-up. But were it you the author, could you decide which of your characters should kill the other? I think Mr. Sanderson did a great job of settling that issue and ultimately choosing the character that he created over the one he adopted. The thing is, that he also showed what makes these characters so loveable… namely, their ‘character’ rather than their power or their prowess in battle. We wouldn’t care about how Mo or Kell did in a fight unless we enjoyed reading about them otherwise… so this write-up is a great intro to who each of these characters ARE, rather than what they can DO.

33. Legs says:

That one had me laughing. Thank you BS for the wonderful write up. Apparently Kel own your coinflip xD

34. Aaron says:

Kelsier would just have to soothe her into submission, then burn a little atium (just in case) and take her out before she notices anything’s wrong.

35. B. Reed says:

I read this match about 2 hours ago, and I still haven’t decided who to vote for.

Those of you who are complaining, keep in mind that Brandon couldn’t decide who would win either, so he flipped a coin and wrote something that would make sense.

My issue is Moiraine forfeited, BUT she tied Kelsier up with air and left him there at the very end. I am torn as to whether or not that should be considered a win.

I don’t know anything about Kelsier because I haven’t read Mistborn.

I know this was a quick little thing more along the lines of fanfiction, than actually staying utterly true to the characters, but I sure hope he does a bit better with Moiraine’s personality and her speech patterns in aMoL, than he did here.

Also, reading Kelsier’s part, I understand now what happened to Mat in ToM. Kelsier leaked through the two series to take over for a few lines there. Mat is my favorite of the three Taveren and so I am most critical when it comes to his lines. Most of it I found to be fine, but there were a couple of spots in ToM where I felt I was reading fanfiction. Sorry, that was slightly off topic.

hmm, who to vote for.

36. loimprevisto says:

I’m going with Kelsier, due to Moiraine’s oaths and his ability to burn zinc to disrupt her ability to hold the One Power.

37. Nate says:

Hah! Hilarious write up! :)
    I’ll admit… a fight would have been cool. But this was still awesome. :D

38. Nathan Armstrong says:

Brandon didn’t intend this to be serious, people. He’s making fun of some of the silly or contested points in both series in a highly meta manner. It’s not like this is canon or anything… just chuckle and don’t take it seriously.

39. av willis says:

Just going to throw this out there, there is nothing to stop Moiraine from tying Kelsier up and then just stabbing him with a knife, or some other physical attack that does not require the one power or put her three oaths into conflict. On the other hand, she does have that nice metal chain around her forehead…

40. Jess says:

to those who have commented on the characters in ablilty to know about the books they star in…

Moraine has used the portal stones and so has seen all worlds (including the one where her whole life was just a book) and Kelsier used to have long talks with Sazed about all the religions he knew of, no doubt he has heard the prophecies of the dragon many times :D

41. Metacognition says:

I love both series. I’ve read both of them countless times over and I still think I’ve got to vote for Kelsier.
    For one Moraine just has too many drawbacks to her power to really be much of a threat. Between the oaths, the need of the angreal, the need to be able to see the weaves, needing to be calm to embrace the source, etc. True, when she IS capable of using her power, it’s flexible, deadly and awe inspiring, but to get to that point, there’s just too many opportunities for Kelsier to work with. Remember (kinda spoiler alert, though no more than the write up above), this is the same guy who knew how to take the impossible task of defeating a “god” by breaking it down into smaller tasks. He’d be able to figure out how to use any and all of the above weaknesses against Moraine before she even thought about channeling.

42. dry009 says:

Remember that the oaths allow an Aes Sedai to protect herself if her life is in danger. In a a battle-to-the-death cage match, you can guarantee she’d feel threatened enough to circumvent the oath the entire duration of the tournament.

That aside – I love both characters and both series. I was really hoping to see actual combat, just because it would be amazing and flashy. Don’t get me wrong – I loved the write-up – but it wasn’t what I was hoping for.

So I wrote one myself. I’m pretty sure it’s way too long to post here, though. I’ll see what I can do though, if my “editor” agrees with me that it’s decent.

43. It’s been a long time since I’ve read something that made me literally Laugh Out Loud more than once before getting to the end. My husband, who sent me the link to the fight, had to endure me reading lines out loud – badly, since I was trying to catch my breath from laughing so hard.

I was a hardcore WoT fan first, but I’m also a big Mistborn fan. This was a fantastic write-up… I could actually picture it in my head with the voices I’ve assigned to each of them.

I had to vote for Moiraine. She tied the poor guy up and left him there. No telling what could happen to him in a week’s time. I see Moiraine moving on to the next round.

44. Rinzi says:

I really enjoyed this write-up because it was funny, and don’t think Sanderson expects anyone to really take this seriously since he didn’t have time to make a serious fight write-up what with having to complete the Wheel of Time and all. I know I’d have loved to see Moiraine and Kelsier fight, but I can’t hold a tight schedule against Sanderson, especially since I want to get my hands on AMoL as soon as I possibly can.

45. 5 days with no water to drink (unless he manages to catch some in his mouth by chance from this storm) as well as the chance of being struck by lightning?

I think I’m clearly the winner.

46. Sir Read-a-Lot says:

Of course Kel won the coinflip. It was a metal coin, after all.

47. david says:

@everyone
    did you guys even read the WOT? she isnt allowed to take any actions that would cause the death of a person even indirectly without her life being in danger so obviously he cant die from this or her weaves would never have formed so however she left him he is only that way temporarily and im guessing she says it as a joke about how we wont hear anything more about the character until the next write up. now she can wiggle within the truth so maybe the weaves would last a week (they would last forever if she made them to) but im guessing from the way he words it were to assume kelsier is stuck in place until the magic of cage match brings him to his next opponent.
    Now on a related point how is it that kylar (night angel trilogy) was forced to fight harry potter to the death and gimlii 2 people he wouldnt kill unless forced yet moraine can just tie weaves of air around someone and walkaway? i like the write up but if suvudu is going to allow more popular authors to take liberties that less popular authors have been told not too it kind of ruins the fun…

48. Joy says:

I’m going with Kel, too. . .though I admit I’m several books behind on WoT. I did love Sanderson’s poke at his “hat trick” line. My husband was thrown completely out of the story by that! (we’re hockey fans, and he found that painful. . . I just thought it was funny!)

49. sacredhonour says:

@David

You might need to re-read WoT also. Nothing stops Moraine from doing what she did. This was actually a pretty clever part by Brandon (who WRITES WoT now). I have to assume Brandon is very well versed in the rules of the WoT universe as the chosen successor to finish the books.

RJ was always pretty clear about how well Aes Sedai could bend their oaths. While they can’t directly attack someone without reason, they are able to do things like wrap them in air and leave them, or I believe an example from one of the books was an Aes Sedai threatening to hold someone in air while her warder slit the person’s throat (the warder killed the person).

Technically, in this came, Moiraine does not KNOW he will die from leaving him on the balcony, so it is reasonable he can be left there.

@Brandon, as someone who has read both series multiple times (WoT 10+ now) I thought this was hilarious. Well done!

50. Robert says:

@Boron:

Actually, the write up for these two characters is perfectly exemplary of their depth. Moraine, Aes Sedai, is not permitted to use her magic unless her life is in danger, which it was not. These are the Three Oaths Kell mentioned. As such, many Aes Sedai utilize diplomacy and word twisting to get what they want, often while the poor sap their talking to thought it was his idea. On top of that, Moaraine has dedicated the last 20 years of her life to a singular purpose, turning it into an obsession. She never does anything that she doesn’t need to, or that doesn’t serve that purpose.

As for Kell, that is exactly how he behaves and the kind of logic and interactions he has in the Mistborn series. He’s a wise cracking, flippant, overconfident, fun loving revolutionary that won’t let anything stop him or even bring him down. Yes, he’s powerful, but he doesn’t let that define him.

And both of these characters have a deep understanding that displays of power, while necessary from time to time, are not the answer to even half of the problems facing them.

Instead of giving everyone a fight, which Sanderson self admitted he did not have the time to do properly, he instead gave everyone the exact interaction that would have happened between these two. You have just received a snapshot into the character’s of Kelsier and Moraine Domodred. I thoroughly enjoyed it!