Robin Hobb Interview: A New Fitz & Fool Trilogy

Once upon a time, Robin Hobb and I were having lunch.

We’ve known one another for many years now. She is one of the sweetest women I know and that, coupled with being a damn fine writer, has always made her one of my favorite people. We were talking about our upcoming projects. The conversation went something like this:

“Will you ever return to Fitz?” I asked, a hopeful geek.

“I have a story,” Robin said in all earnestness. “I’m not sure I should write it though. And that’s all I’m going to say on that.”

I grinned at her and let it be. I would never press a friend to reveal their innermost secrets. A few years later, in 2012, she expanded on that initial discussion: “Clearly, for some time, my publishers have wanted me to write a continuation of the Fitz and Fool story . It was my hope to work on such a story slowly, carefully and very privately. For years. Because if I do it badly or hastily, I will have ended my career.”

That is a real concern for writers when working in the worlds they are best known for. But with the above video, it is clear to see Robin has decided to take that risk and the first book, The Fool’s Assassin, has gotten to the point where she wants to talk about it—if only to announce it formally.

I decided to ask her a few questions, just to tease readers.

Here they are:

A SHORT INTERVIEW WITH ROBIN HOBB

Shawn Speakman: THE FOOL’S ASSASSIN is the title of the first book in a new Fitz & Fool trilogy. What prompted you to return to their world?

photo-robinhobb

Robin Hobb: Astute readers know that all the threads pointing toward there being more to come are there. There was always a final chapter to this tale, and I always wanted to write it. I was not always sure that I should write it, or that readers would welcome that final chapter as I envisioned it. But it just seemed that now was the time. Bits of this have been rattling around in the form of notes and ideas for twenty years.

Shawn Speakman: Did you find it easy to return to Fitz?

Robin Hobb: He’s one of those characters who is always in the back of my mind, observing things and making comments. The same is true for the Fool. So, yes, I guess that means that I do hear voices . . .

Shawn Speakman: When can readers expect THE FOOL’S ASSASSIN in stores?

Robin Hobb: I’ve no idea on this yet, and it’s one of those questions that has too many variables to answer. In hardback or paperback? In the US? France? Australia? So for now, the answer is, “I hope some readers will see this in book form in 2014.” And that’s the best I can offer.

UPDATE: The Fool’s Assassin now has a tentative release date of August 2014!

There you have it. From one of the best writers working right now. The Fool’s Assassin by Robin Hobb will be published… sometime…

It’s coming though.

Can’t wait!

speakman-shawnShawn Speakman is the author of The Dark Thorn, an urban/epic fantasy hybrid novel bestselling author Terry Brooks calls, “a fine tale by a talented writer.”

He is also editor and contributor of Unfettered, a fantasy anthology featuring some of the best writers in the genre. When Shawn isn’t lying for a living, he runs The Signed Page and Grim Oak Press.

10 Responses to “Robin Hobb Interview: A New Fitz & Fool Trilogy”

1. Petra Munro says:

Awesome! I can’t wait to read it. I have just finished re-reading the Tawny Man trilogy (again) and it leaves me wanting more….

2. Tina says:

This makes me so incredibly happy! I really hope it really does get out next year, that’d be so very wonderful!

3. Carol Restad says:

I can hardly wait. I have enjoyed your other books as well and I hope you never stop writing

4. Jackie says:

Yippee!! Keep ‘em coming pretty please! Office Kat do tell how come Robin calls you an evil assistant? And do accompany here when she travels?

5. Jeremy says:

This excites me more than I can say. My favorite series of books by far! I just finished “Blood of Dragons” and loved the series. I also love anything having to do with the world of Elderlings. Can’t wait!

6. Derri Herbert says:

This is such wonderful news; I have read and re-read Fitz & Fool’s journey so many times and always wished I could find out what happened next. I knew there was always the chance of more thanks to Jinna’s statement when reading Fitz’ palm “…a love that wends it’s way in and out of all your many years…”. As Fitz was still breathing at the end of Fool’s Fate, it was inevitable that Fool would ‘wend’ his way back through the Six Duchies at some point.

7. Maria says:

So cant wait for this book! These are my all time favorite books and I love all the characters even going so far as having a tattoo done of a wolf in honor of Nighteyes ( one of my very favorite characters along with Fitz and the Fool) I have read all the books time and time again!

8. Juliet says:

I’m so excited yet sort of afraid that this will be the end of Fitz, that in the epilogue he will drift into death and will hunt in the hills that he saw in Fool’s Errand (if you get my meaning..). I just hate it when such a wonderful world comes to an end. I hope it doesn’t happen, but even if it does, there is no way I couldn’t read these next books!

9. Lee Shields says:

I am so excited to return to the world of Fitz and the Fool. I hope it includes the Liveship characters too!! Thank you Robin Hobb for writing this long awaited trilogy. :)

10. dying says:

dying right now properly crying

you have no idea how much I fucking love this series I am crying

holy shit this is the best news every I am ridiculously excited right now crying